Board index KSOC Social KSOC Recommended Shops Undecided: Motion Lab Tuning

Undecided: Motion Lab Tuning

Recommended vendors, dealerships, and Subaru specialty shops. Getting work done on your Subaru? Check here first!

Have you been satisfied with your experience with Motion Lab Tuning?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 1

Post Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 am
bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

I know that some of you have been enthusiastic about Motion Lab Tuning in the past, and that they came to Knoxville last spring for a marathon tuning session. However, several members have been experiencing problems with their tunes and/or customer service from Motion Lab. This thread and poll is to get an impression from the KSOC community at large as to their experiences.

I have my own personal opinons of ML, but I will leave that out of the OP and express them only as the conversation progresses.

Please only vote in the poll if you have used ML for tuning or engine building services and have had enough time to evaluate your experience. Otherwise, you can express your thoughts in a post in this thread.
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Post Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 pm
fedex23 Forum User

What kind of problems? I must of missed all this somewhere along the way.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 am
rlowery78 User avatar
KSOC Officer

I have a deposit sitting in their hands... Never made down to get tuned. I will say I couldn't be happier with all the work Eric Minehart did for me.

In fact... If my deposit can be used by anyone, I would be willing to gift it or perhaps we could raffle it and use the money to pad the club account. (It is only 50 bucks - but it is a start)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Russell L

SSM 2008 Base WRX SOLD
WRB 2013 STi Hatch

Post Sun May 26, 2013 7:11 pm
Appalachianaero User avatar
KSOC Member

So, took Foxy to Fastech's dyno day yesterday. Talked to mark and nick. We're very approachable and nice. Foxy did well on the dyno about 225whp at 15psi. Mind you she's a 4eat. They said AFR looks very clean and power envelope is smooth. They said that's it's a solid conservative tune that they could get more out if it and clean it up more of course. After talking to Antonio and waiting to see how Anderson's tune holds up, might go there after next set of power mods. Now, my last contact with Todd at MLT was great and helpful! He looked at some logs and had good feedback. But, Fastech is local. I also have some inquiries out on some eTuners as well. Waiting for their feedback.
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero "Foxy"
I has stuff, want more stuff, don't need it, but will get it anyway, eventually

Post Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Appalachianaero wrote:
So, took Foxy to Fastech's dyno day yesterday. Talked to mark and nick. We're very approachable and nice. Foxy did well on the dyno about 225whp at 15psi. Mind you she's a 4eat. They said AFR looks very clean and power envelope is smooth. They said that's it's a solid conservative tune that they could get more out if it and clean it up more of course. After talking to Antonio and waiting to see how Anderson's tune holds up, might go there after next set of power mods. Now, my last contact with Todd at MLT was great and helpful! He looked at some logs and had good feedback. But, Fastech is local. I also have some inquiries out on some eTuners as well. Waiting for their feedback.

Wait!? Fastech had a Dyno Day and nobody told me??? :cry:

I'll start a feedback thread for Fastech and TP.

/off topic

via mobile
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 pm
Appalachianaero User avatar
KSOC Member

I'm running a MLT map.
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero "Foxy"
I has stuff, want more stuff, don't need it, but will get it anyway, eventually

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 am
armyofcase Forum User

You know I've had nothing but great stuff with my motion lab tuned car. For a speed density tuning, it continues to deliver power and has held up to expectations. I haven't had any motor issues (knocks on wood) to date and the only issue I've had is with the firewall.

I continue to recommend Motion Lab again and again. Now the issues I've heard about in this thread are with open source issues. Those of us who are Cobb tuned seem to be safe and clear...am I right?

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

armyofcase wrote:
You know I've had nothing but great stuff with my motion lab tuned car. For a speed density tuning, it continues to deliver power and has held up to expectations. I haven't had any motor issues (knocks on wood) to date and the only issue I've had is with the firewall.

I continue to recommend Motion Lab again and again. Now the issues I've heard about in this thread are with open source issues. Those of us who are Cobb tuned seem to be safe and clear...am I right?

How you get the tune shouldn't matter. IMO, you're under just as much risk as the others, regardless of OS or Cobb being the map delivery method.
Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Can AP maps be tweaked by the end user? That's a potential disadvantage I see with OS as far as engine safety goes. Especially in the hands of someone like myself. :D

But Marcus is right. A map is a map, the delivery method shouldn't matter.

How many people with ML protunes suffered engine failure without changing anything at all? I suspect that number quite low.

via mobile
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm
bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

ether947 wrote:
Can AP maps be tweaked by the end user? That's a potential disadvantage I see with OS as far as engine safety goes. Especially in the hands of someone like myself. :D

But Marcus is right. A map is a map, the delivery method shouldn't matter.

How many people with ML protunes suffered engine failure without changing anything at all? I suspect that number quite low.

via mobile

You can change the map with AcessTuner, a software provided by Cobb, upon request, to a verified AP owner.

As someone who has watched, read, and listened to anyone willing to talk about it, I suspect the number to be higher than you think.
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Do you speak of KSOC or the Subaru world in general? I am very much interested to know what you know. :)
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm
rlowery78 User avatar
KSOC Officer

As am I... My big concern with them was responsiveness leading up to my tune date. They pulled through at the final hour, but was a little "too close for comfort". I did not vote in the poll, because I didn't have a tune. I only bought my plugs from them :marcus: , and paid them a small deposit which I haven't claimed yet, as I suspect I owe them that for the starter map they sent the same day we attempted the 16g install.

I may have been too spoiled by Eric @ TP, to deal with a larger, busier shop...I hope that is the case anyway.
Russell L

SSM 2008 Base WRX SOLD
WRB 2013 STi Hatch

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

My goal is a safe/conservative tune on a stock motor/turbo with a few exhaust and intake mods. Looking for faster spool rates, earlier and greater torque delivery for street use and drive ability.......max numbers are NOT my goal.

Motion Labs: Charlotte

I have reservations as well with ML. I'm uncomfortable with their general comments of "no problem with 23 psi on a stock motor"...well I think that's aggressive...IMO. When I asked them about a more conservative tune they kind of brushed me off, indicating well maybe 22 psi. I visited their shop and was NOT impressed. It is dirty, cluttered, and the workers were at best casual about what they were doing...doesn't give me much confidence. The dyno room is a cobbled together add-on to their building...not professional looking. Had an appointment at 10 am, the tuner wasn't there until 11:30. They seem more focused on max #s than a good reliable drive able setup.

They give the impression of customer service (when talking). Their communications with me once we got into a project was terrible...had to pester them to get updates and answers. They didn't explain their reschedule fees ($50) before hand. I'm just not really comfortable with ML on several levels.

Top Speed: ATL

I have had 2 tunes from TS on a stock motor and they eventually were good. The issue was I had to go back to have it readjusted after the initial tune bc it wasn't quite right. There was no charge for the re-tune, but it was time consuming and inconvenient. They did what I asked and provided a modest tune with good drive ability. The cost of the tune was $425. After 1 1/2 yrs I had another tune due to some upgrades. Tune was pretty good, but not quite as good as the first time after they re-tuned it.

Fastech

I'm having them do my current car so I'll be able to tell you more in a week. What I like about Fastech is their willingness to tune to your requirements, clean and well organized shop/dyno, knowledgeable and experienced, they're local, organized and easy scheduling and the pricing is in line with most shops ($450 - $550). Their first tune (done last week) is a little more aggressive than I'd like so scheduled to have it tweaked/optimized for my tastes. So far great response and communications.

Torqued Performance: Eric

I had an OTS COBB stage II tune and it was too rich and boost was spiking in cold weather! Contacted Eric to see if he could help out and allow the car to run better until I got ready for a dyno tune. Eric was great and patient...the best experience I've ever had on an email only service. He made the car better and tuned it very conservatively just to make sure it was safe. While the car was better with his tune, the limitations of not having A/F ratios led to a non optimal but very drive able e-tune. For the money, its a wonderful value....but it doesn't compare to a true dyno tune with real-time data and corrections. A great way to improve on the COBB overly rich maps and adjust for installed mods. A painless and comfortable tune, and even a few months later when I had a mod change he reviewed the data logs to ensure it was still ok....great support!

Return to KSOC Recommended Shops