Board index KSOC Social KSOC Recommended Shops Good shops to intern at?

Good shops to intern at?

Recommended vendors, dealerships, and Subaru specialty shops. Getting work done on your Subaru? Check here first!

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 pm
eskamobob1 Forum User

Hey Guys,

I'm a freshman at UTK working towards a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have always loved cars and my goal is to eventually become a race designer. Unfortunately I don't have hardly any hands on experience with cars, and as such am looking to gain some.

I am hoping to gain an internship position at a shop next semester (preferably with higher performance cars). I came here because back home (I'm from southern California) Subaru enthusiasts tend to go to the best shops. Are there any shops specifically that I should give a call? Like I said, I am mainly looking to gain experience and don't care if its a payed position in the slightest.

Thanks in advance!
-Joe

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:45 pm
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

Welcome! Your best bet is to talk to UTK's co-op office about that. I don't know how close you'll land to a performance Subaru shop (there's only 1 in East TN, and I didn't go there to have my engine built). But, mfg, especially at Denso in Maryville seem to be popular choices.

As an EE, I'd like to get into automotive, myself. I worked in government infrastructure for 4 years, and have been in oil & gas since February. Meh.
Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:31 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

DTM21 did a co-op while he was at TTU at Denso. Said he loved working there.
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 pm
eskamobob1 Forum User

I will certianly look into that! my worry about Denso is that i wont get much time actualy working on the cars them selves, but ill definitely look into it. I woulnt be able to get an internship there until sophomore year likely (because of the short notice) so i have plenty of time.

As for the performance shop, i honestly couldnt care less if it is subaru specific, i just find that subaru owners are much more particular than almost any other car owner about where they take their cars :p

I have already contacted FastTech in louisville, and while they dont have any room currently, I was encouraged to call back after winter break and try again. I also found city limit motors in Clinton, but i cant quite figure out if they are a dealer, shop, or both. Unfortunately the majority of my search has turned up autozones, and the like (which isnt too bad of an option) but i would like to try for a more specialized shop first (plus I like family shops :p)

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

CLM is both. It's a father/son thing so you may not have luck with interning there do to space in the shop.
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

Return to KSOC Recommended Shops