Board index KSOC Social KSOC Recommended Shops Recently purchased STi that needs attention. Recomm. Tuner?

Recently purchased STi that needs attention. Recomm. Tuner?

Recommended vendors, dealerships, and Subaru specialty shops. Getting work done on your Subaru? Check here first!

GalaxSTi User avatar
Forum User

Hey guys,

My name is Darren. .....*Hi, darren*...(phew glad thats out of the way)

Well i'm here today because I moved here from Denver, Colorado. ....Yes weed is legal there.... (get that question a lot)

Anyways, I've owned a couple of subaru's. This will be my 4th. 2007 Limited STi. Well it definitely needs some attention. It's not in horrible condition but it doesnt drive nor does it handle like my 2004 STi (which i miss dearly). Thats not an issue because I would like to eventually build it. So suspension and upgrades will come accordingly. Whenever i can save some extra cash. Anywho... The guy i got it from had an open source tune on it. Current set up - Turbo back exhaust, External wastegate, and CAI. I purchased an AP to turn down the turbo boost because it was peaking at 21/22. Which i know im no expert by any means but that doesnt sound like thats safe, especially on a turbo with 144k miles on it. He blew a ringland and purchased a new block last year, currently has 14k miles on it. Still stock factory turbo 144k miles on it. When subaru asked if they wanted to map it back to stock, he denied and kept the same tune. YES IT sounds amazing buttttt it doesnt feel right. Doesnt drive right. Somethings off. I've had some unstable idles and some good idling. It's hot or cold. AP wont accept the cars current set up. I'm guessing its the external wastegate thats throwing it off? But even then, i wouldnt think it would be too much of a difference but enough to throw codes and misfires, running rich etc... So i decided to obviously return the tune that was on it.

Problems:

When starting the car. Cold start, It has a chirp. It goes away after the initial start up. Only happens when its turned over after sitting for a long while. ANY IDEAS?

Also, i noticed smoke when in reverse and it was about 66 out so that didnt seem right. It had a little bit of a smell to it so i figured first things first...possible ringlands are cracked or damaged!!!! :emo: :( :emo:

When the car is first start up on a cold start, It sounds like a vacuum leak for about a solid minute then it sounds like it seals itself and then its good until its cold again.

SOOOOOO.... where im at is trying to take a route without having to pay extra money for no reason. Reason being money is a little tighter, with just purchasing it.

What tuner would you highly recommmend that knows a lot of tuning subarus. They take care of the car and dont really treat it like some hooker because its not theirs.

First things first, i want to turn down the boost to stock, get it back down to the 16/18Max ( I know cobbs stage two is 18/19 if im not mistaken?) - I'd rather play it super conservative then build and not have to worry about breaking extra pieces.

Any ideas and recommendations as to where i can take my car to that i can trust that i wont be just treated like another dollar sign (although i know thats how business function)

ANYTHING HELPS THANK YOU AND I HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU GUYS AND GALS.

Subaru scene in colorado is MASSIVE...your wrists feel like you went on a long nights marathon and sore from all the waves. Its definitely a lot different here but i'm looking to get into whatever i can.

Thanks
07 Subaru WRX STi Limited - Urban Gray Metallic - #102
2004 Subaru WRX STi - Sold
2002 Subaru WRX - Hybrid Swap - e85 - Sold

GalaxSTi User avatar
Forum User

Here's a quick video. I tried getting the smoke action but of course.....it didnt want to do it that well. so i just ran to the front to get that beginning caught on film.

You can hear that chirp at first too. then that vacuum sound then it sealing itself in the video..

bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

The chirp sounds like a loose belt or blown pulley. Has it ever had a timing belt service?

The vacuum sound is probably the air pump. You are hovering over it with the camera.

Condensation in the exhaust is possible even at 66*, especially if the car was in a damp spot when parked. It happens to me just about every morning if it is cooler than 75 or so.

21 psi isn't unheard of. If you want someone to dyno tune your car, I would go to Boxer4Racing outside of Asheville, NC.

Most of us, however, are e-tuned by Eric at Torqued Performance.

If you need a good shop for the mechanicals, you should check out Earl Duff Subaru in Harriman (ask for Chris) or Dennis Hall Automotive in West Knoxville (ask for Mark).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Welcome to the forums/Knoxville!

I would second Eric for an e-tune.

I also think the noise is the air pump. Seems to run a little long though. I'm going off of my old 09 WRX though.

For random idling issues, I would check for a post MAF leak. Double-check your connections, someone might of goofed up. Might have a torn turbo inlet if it is still stock.

BTW, if it makes you feel any better, my 05 STi has 134k and I hit 20psi on my stock turbo. I ran an EWG at one point, but it was too dang loud for me. However, with the EWG, 22psi should be fine for now.
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

GalaxSTi User avatar
Forum User

Thank you guys for the responses and recommendations.

When i return it back to the current tune i dont get any codes or misfires, its only when i tried to go stage 2 on the accessport.

I'll definitely call around and get it checked out and then go from there with the tune. is torqued performance in out of state as well or is it here in tn?

GalaxSTi User avatar
Forum User

They did the timing belt when they put in the new short block.

Short block engine
super three bond
clutch
flywheel
cylinder head
valve intake/exh
lifter valves
timing belt
thermostat
gasket and seal kit engine

were all that was done to it when it was installed last year. as far as pulleys go, ill have to take a look at it and see.

bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

Torqued Performance was in Colorado. Not sure where he is now, but not local.

I would put the tune back on (not the OTS tune) and drive it gently until you get it sorted out.

http://torquedperformance.com/
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

I second going to see Dennis Halls to get your car looked at, My stock engine spun a rod bearing a little while and Mark installed a new stage 1 block for me, now car is running great! Mark has a slightly modded red Forester and loves Subarus

I thought Torqued Performance was in Oregon?
2014 DGM WRX STI Limited Sdn
Stage 2+

Return to KSOC Recommended Shops