Board index KSOC Social Subaru News and Rumors The 2015 WRX/STi Thread

The 2015 WRX/STi Thread

Discuss new/upcoming Subaru models and rumors.

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 am
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:26 pm
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

Pretty impressive output on the new WRX. This would make a great DD, and the torque curve matches well with the new CVT.....although i prefer the 6 spd.

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:11 pm
KSOC Alum

TiC drives the new STI at Lagnua Seca: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2604662

06 BMW 330i - Traded

Track day, bro!

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 pm
bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

Turn in Concepts wrote:
2015 STI – The STI We Have Always Wanted

Who would have thought? The new STi is FANTASTIC. On paper this car didn’t look like much, but after spending a day in one running laps around the Laguna Seca track, I can tell you – I want one.

Subaru Loves You. Since the release of the STI in the US in 2004, enthusiasts have been thrilled, but often left wanting for more. The power has always been impressive at 300 horsepower, but the handling has been a bit sloppy compared to its rally-inspired competition. For years now drivers have remarked that the main competitor, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, has deserved the title of superior chassis and suspension response - and I agree. Thankfully, this has not gone unnoticed at Subaru, and now I can say that they are finally ready to release a car with unparalleled rally-inspired handling.

I have been in many Subarus over the years starting with my own 2004 WRX that I purchased in 2003. Since then, as co-owner of Turn in Concepts, a Subaru-heavy performance shop in Cincinnati, I have been lucky enough to drive several thousand more Subarus in any and all states of preparation - from stock to full blown race cars. The cool thing about these cars is that are truly all unique and interesting in their own right. Just as one might expect from a performance-aftermarket car culture obsessed with modification and improvement.

It’s so rare to have a manufacturer like Subaru, which promotes loyalty and enthusiasm amongst owners and modifiers alike. Subaru knows what the enthusiast community does for their brand and they place great value on their enthusiasts’ views. In this spirit, they invited a small group of industry-leading Subaru “tuners” to come experience the new car before it hits the showroom floors. Much to my delight, I made the list.

Being honored by Subaru in this manner was a surprise and a thrill as it is not often that a major player in the automotive manufacturing segment recognizes- let alone supports - its aftermarket “partners” as Subaru has done. The invitation called for us to join the Subaru team for a two-day event at the legendary Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, home of one of the most dreamt about corners in all of racing, the Corkscrew. On the track, we were given the opportunity to drive one of six brand-new pre-release 2015 STIs.

They were also nice enough to provide us with a close up look at the new chassis, allowing us to start thinking about new the design and engineering needed for some new aftermarket parts. I am serious when I write: Subaru truly supports its owners’ desire to modify their cars and wants to work with them to turn their dreams into reality. The styling and interior make the car feel more upscale than it did before with features like push button start and heated seats.

Turning concepts to Reality.

Lets be real here, most enthusiasts who purchase an STI buy them because we want to feel like Petter Solberg back in the heyday of WRC excitement or because we want the ability to trail brake into a corner at 90 mph with just the right amount of slip angle from the chassis to get our adrenaline pumping without losing control. We want to play and enjoy our cars. Sadly, this feeling has been somewhat difficult to achieve in past STI examples due to handling that was just okay in stock form. The aftermarket world has been able to crack the code and turn the car into a great drive for track enthusiasts or daily drivers alike, but most have always felt that it needed just a bit more to really come alive. I wanted more and I had very high hopes.

Immediately upon taking off in the pit lane to go on track it was evident that this STI is in different league as its predecessors. The throttle response is quick, something that I have been complaining about since 2006. Dropping the hammer resulted in a solid and steady wave of torque out of the familiar EJ257. It feels more like a “stage 1” car in power delivery in that torque is plentiful and not jerky or limited in feel like the last generation. Power is easy though with the EJ, but it was not until I approached the first corner that the fun really began.

As I grabbed the steering wheel and initiated input for the first corner, I almost drove off the inside of the track! Having driven many STI’s, I certainly wasn’t expecting it to turn that fast. As I corrected my line it responded immediately and wanted to dart in the other direction as I again initiated too much input. This thing is on rails. I started to settle down and within a few laps I was having more fun in this new STI than I have had in a long time out on track. The car is immediate in everything it does.

The chassis has received quite the work over while remaining relatively familiar in appearance. It’s super stiff in all the areas that matter - most importantly at the A pillar and in the rear dash area. These two areas are responsible for the feeling for turn-in response and chassis flex and the extra work put into this chassis to improve over the last is noticed. I also noticed the amount of new bracing the car has received; if it could be boxed in or made more solid with a bolt on brace it has been done.

The suspension is also very similar in design and appearance yet the car no longer has body roll in the corners. Pushed to the limit is it also composed and even rewards with controlable drifts and slides that would have otherwise confused the last STI. The steering response is so crisp and clean that it feels like that of an Evo or E36 M3. It is amazing what Subaru has done in terms of driver feedback through the corners. The STI has always struggled with mid corner adjustments to driver input to correct line. The old car would require exaggerated input correction mid corner to achieve the desired line; the new car only requires a subtle partial throttle lift or steering correction and the car immediately responds with a correction. It wants to be where the driver tells it to go at all times and is easy to get it there. Even on the factory tires and alignment (less than 1 degree of negative camber in the front) there was only the smallest amount of understeer and then only when the tires were overheated or the car pushed too hard. It just grips.

Helping these shocking handling dynamics was the new Torque Vectoring system in use through brake control. A push of a button engages Track Mode while turning off traction control. The Torque Vectoring system integrates steering input, G sensors, brake sensors and differential input to help direct the car to its intended line.

If you’re like me the typical track routine starts with turning on the car and turning off all driver aides. In this case the car felt more nimble and alive in Track Mode than with all aides turned off. It is one piece of electronic wizardry worth having and actually using.

Menacing Aesthetics.

Forget what you think you know about the STI aesthetically as it is all about to change. The exterior of the car, while not well received by most in pictures, is actually quite stunning in person. The front end is more aggressive than the last generation, yet the lines of the side and rear are cleaner with the fender flares being much more thoroughly integrated into the body of the car. Don’t worry - the fenders will still easy swallow some 275 width tires. The overall look is quite aggressive and “fast” even while sitting still. The two new wheel options, both sized at 18x1.8", look good. The interior is well apportioned for a Subaru and much nicer than the previous generation with beautiful black chrome rimmed gauges, alcantara and leather seats, a fantastically thick D shaped steering wheel and plenty of room for taller drivers wearing helmets.

Buying One.

By the end of my time with the car, I was in love. I have driven many cars on track ranging from stock German sedans to race prepped American muscle, light weight Japanese convertibles to rally bred monsters and can say that the new 2015 Subaru STI is one of the most engaging, competent, fun to drive cars I have experienced. While the engine and drivetrain may be old news, the car has been made new with one of the best suspension/chassis combinations available in today’s automotive performance market. Find me in line at the dealership in March.

The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:08 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

That dash layout is fantastic.
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 pm
KSOC Alum

Sure is!

Sent from above

06 BMW 330i - Traded

Track day, bro!

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm
KSOC Officer

Cars101.com has added a lot of information/specs about the 2015 WRX/STi.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti2015.html

2012 WRX

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:30 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

Note: starting with the 2015 model, all services and oil changes are based on 6,000 mile/6 months interval. This replaces the previous 7500 miles/7.5 month interval

I am not that brave of a man.
Kyle S.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:53 pm
KSOC Alum

Durania wrote:
Note: starting with the 2015 model, all services and oil changes are based on 6,000 mile/6 months interval. This replaces the previous 7500 miles/7.5 month interval

Me, neither...

Anyone catch that the WRX motor takes 91, while our "beloved" EJ257 still requires 93...? And the new bitch takes 5.4 qts of oil (supposedly)... :shock:

06 BMW 330i - Traded

Track day, bro!

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:03 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

SubieEngineer wrote:

Anyone catch that the WRX motor takes 91, while our "beloved" EJ257 still requires 93...?

Direct Injection yo. :)
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:10 pm
KSOC Officer

Durania wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, SOA says that my car will run 7500 miles on API-SN 5w-30. So, the new interval is actually more conservative.

2012 WRX

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm
rlowery78 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Ha, I just changed my oil and it had 2800 miles on it. It was over due on time if you adhere to the 3 month or 3k mile interval... (which I do)

Sam's forester is at the 7500 interval, you don't have to worry about bad oil, as it uses it so fast that there is no way the original oil is in it by the time you hit 7500 miles. 1 qt per 1200 miles is acceptable according to SOA...I think this is way too much, that would be about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart per fill up... and from my experience this is an accurate approximation of the forester's oil usage. However, the usage doesn't start until the 0w20 has about 1000 miles of use on it? Do you suppose it shears that quickly? Time to change oil brands? UOA is being sent now.
Russell L

SSM 2008 Base WRX SOLD
WRB 2013 STi Hatch

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:33 pm
KSOC Officer

I run 3K mile intervals.

Honestly, Russell, you're not the only one with that problem on the newer Foresters (FB engine). I would start a thread in the drivetrain section and we can have an oil discussion. =)

2012 WRX

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

I too run 3k intervals on both my Subarus, always have. I rarely meet the mileage requirement for the oil change but usually do it based on the time passed.
Kyle S.

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:55 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

STi comparo against the big boys. CLA45 AMG v M235i v STi.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... al20430874

I did not expect the STi to win that one. :)

Every inch of the WRX Launch Edition's high-strength steel body exudes naughtiness. It's a mesomorphic object with a Ph.D. in Speed.

"This is a car for crazy people," Lago said. "See that wing? The wheels are gold, for crying out loud!" Lieberman noted, "You have to work hard in the STI to drive fast, but what's wrong with hard work?"

Indeed, the STI isn't for everyone. I's loud (though not as sonorous as before), has a firm ride (though not as jarring as the CLA45's nor as bouncy as the M235i's), and, yes, it brandishes a comically massive wing that does in fact serves a very small downforce function.

3rd Place: Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG
Big on speed, style, and price; small on emotion.

2nd Place: BMW M235i
A well-balanced rear-driver in need of options for pizzazz.

1st Place: Subaru WRX STI
Launch Edition: Loud, fast, surefooted, amenity-packed—it typifies fun.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... z2wXhgOB8T
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 am
KSOC Officer

Video tour of the cockpit of a 2015 WRX.
Watch on youtube.com

Optional STI exhaust on a 2015 WRX. Sounds like a Focus ST.
Watch on youtube.com

Some really good pics of DGM.

2012 WRX

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:09 am
KSOC Officer

STi in DGM.

2012 WRX

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 pm
Appalachianaero User avatar
KSOC Member

Yes sir, I like it.
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero "Foxy"
I has stuff, want more stuff, don't need it, but will get it anyway, eventually

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:12 am
KSOC Officer

Subaru.com's build feature is finally up for the 2015 WRX.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/wrx/index.html

2012 WRX

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:16 pm
Appalachianaero User avatar
KSOC Member

bicycle_wreck wrote:
Subaru.com's build feature is finally up for the 2015 WRX.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/wrx/index.html

Thanks Sam. I just built 5x of them. Ready for them to be drop shipped to my door. 2x WRX for weekday driving, 2x STI for weekend driving and 1x STI for modding.
Btw, soon I'll put it in the FS section with pics, but I'll have a house, a Saabaru, a kidney and a bass for sale.
You guys think I'll get anything for my tonsils or wisdom teeth?
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero "Foxy"
I has stuff, want more stuff, don't need it, but will get it anyway, eventually

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 am
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

Are all the wheels black (std) now? Launch edition has gold, but are they still offering silver?

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am
KSOC Officer

jaboyd wrote:
Are all the wheels black (std) now? Launch edition has gold, but are they still offering silver?

Silver is offered on the STi Limited. It is basically the Launch Edition wheel in silver.

WRX has 17" dark gray wheels standard w/optional 17" black wheels on the sport package.
STi base has 18" dark gray wheels standard.

2012 WRX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:43 pm
KSOC Officer

Mishimoto is taking apart their new WRX. Here's a video of the turbo and downpipe.

Watch on youtube.com

2012 WRX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Neato. That is a short ass downpipe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 pm
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member