Board index KSOC Social New Forum Members "Newbie" reaching out for suggestions

"Newbie" reaching out for suggestions

Whether you're new to Subarus, Knoxville, or just this forum, stop in and introduce yourself to one of the most knowledgeable Subaru enthusiast groups in the South East. Be prepared to post pictures.

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 am
girlmonday Forum User

Hi there! We are thinking of making the switch to Subaru! So in doing some research, found this group and what a better place to ask for suggestions! We'll need a bigger Subaru, as our family is growing and we have a dog. We are also thinking of going the used route. So, in your opinions, what years/makes would be the best for us to focus on? Thanks for the guidance!

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:56 am
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

Need more details! SuV or car? Hatch back or sedan? Turbo or non-turbo? Auto or stick? $$.

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:12 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure how big your family is, but if you have a dog then I would suggest the Outback (2009-2015) for practical reasons. Our friends have one and they love it.

What are you guys driving right now?
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

I know of an excellent condition 2013 outback w/32k mi for sale by a friend.

Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

My lab likes the baja, plenty of room for him in the back. No kids yet, so not sure if this helps.

I still suggest you find a baja. Everyone needs a baja. Do it.

2013 EDS cornhole champion.

2007 WRX Limited. CGM. vf39'd - Sold
2006 Baja Sport. Atlantic Blue Pearl

girlmonday Forum User

We currently drive VWs and have been for about 9 years. I love them, but the repairs! We are ready to stop spending so much time in the shop. My current VW is a Passat Wagon.

I honestly am not sure what price range my husband wants to stick to, he just said "start researching!" : ) I've pulled up some articles on the Outback, but that's as far as I got before posting here. I'll have to look into the Baja, as we live on a farm, too, & that might be helpful.

We are practical so it's pretty much "what car is going to get us the most bang for our buck". Thanks for your suggestions!

bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

Well, if you're used to the Passat's size, then anything smaller than the Outback (e.g., Impreza hatchback or Crosstrek) might not meet your requirements. A Forester might, though, and they're better looking than an Outback in my opinion.

The Outback is a good car, parts are relatively cheap (relative to a VAG product), and repairs aren't that complicated. Buying one a few years old isn't something that would scare me. Same could be said for the Forester. If possible, you want a 2013+ Outback or Forester with the FB25 engine. A few of the early (2011-2012) FB25 engines had oil control ring problems and consumed a lot of oil. This didn't affect every car, and the newer engines are supposedly corrected.

New Subaru's come with a 3 year, 36K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 5 year, 60K mile powertrain warranty, so if you purchased one a couple of years old you would still have a warranty to lean on.

If you want hardcore facts and figures, your best bet is to check out cars101.com. This is a dedicated Subaru facts site built and maintained by a Subaru dealership.

http://cars101.com/
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2015.html
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/ ... r2015.html

If you want to purchase a new Subaru I highly recommend speaking to someone at Earl Duff Subaru in Harriman. Ben Ray or Todd Fink can help you out. I would avoid Grayson Subaru if possible.

http://www.duffsubaru.com/

Hope that helps.
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

+1 for Earl Duff. If you want a warranty, a Baja is not going to work for you. They haven't made them since 06. Outback or Forester are more likely up your alley.
2013 EDS cornhole champion.

2007 WRX Limited. CGM. vf39'd - Sold
2006 Baja Sport. Atlantic Blue Pearl

girlmonday Forum User

Thanks a bunch for the info bicyvle_wreck!

bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

You're welcome. That's why we're here.
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Return to New Forum Members