Board index KSOC Social New Forum Members New Subaru Owner - Knoxville

New Subaru Owner - Knoxville

Whether you're new to Subarus, Knoxville, or just this forum, stop in and introduce yourself to one of the most knowledgeable Subaru enthusiast groups in the South East. Be prepared to post pictures.

Post Sat May 23, 2015 9:09 am
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Hey Guys,

I have been waiting my wheels gloss black (2014 Stock BBS) and they look great however i went to put them back on the car and two of the lugs nuts won't go back on, they've been threaded, both the stud and the nut. Looks like rain/water has rusted it and when we took the wheel off just tore the thread off.

So i'm looking at getting new lug nuts and not sure which will fit. i can't seem to find ones with the right spec. All of the ones on RSD are round seated and it seems the stock OEM ones are acorn style. Please help!

Cheers

Ollie
2014 DGM WRX STI Limited Sdn
Stage 2+

Post Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 am
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

You need M12x1.25 lug nuts. However if the stud is damaged, you will need to replace the stud.

And technically, aftermarket lugs aren't designed for stock wheels. But people run them anyways. I have too.

I seem to have more issues with the stock lugs if I'm honest.
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:34 am
bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

I'm still kind of confused about what happened. Do you have pics of the damage?

You can pick up acorn M12x1.25 lug nuts at Pep Boys, Advance, AutoZone, etc. They might also carry the studs.
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Post Sat May 23, 2015 4:05 pm
Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

I wouldn't take a chance on damaged or possibly damaged studs. If it looks questionable, replace them. If the threads look rusty, just clean them up with a wire brush. Or wire wheel and a drill. I freaking love the wire wheel I have for my drill.
2013 EDS cornhole champion.

2007 WRX Limited. CGM. vf39'd - Sold
2006 Baja Sport. Atlantic Blue Pearl

Post Sat May 23, 2015 7:44 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Hey guys,

so after doing some research this morning, i realized that the guys at auto zone/advanced auto parts etc gave me the wrong info on the size of the stud they told me it was m14 not m12 so we picked up the rethreading tool and it only took 5 mins to fix and looks great. The damage was only on 2 of the 5 studs and at the very beginning so it was easily fixed.

The lug nuts were beyond repairable so we managed to find some OEM lugs at Napa and popped em right on. I will probably replace the studs when i get new lugs anyway but for now it will do.

Finished the last rim today with paint so now they are all gloss black and looking awesome! I will try and post some photos tomorrow
2014 DGM WRX STI Limited Sdn
Stage 2+

Post Sat May 23, 2015 7:49 pm
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

Glad you got it sorted out! A few years back, Napa also carried oem style studs, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Previous

Return to New Forum Members