Board index KSOC Social New Forum Members New Subaru Owner - Knoxville

New Subaru Owner - Knoxville

Whether you're new to Subarus, Knoxville, or just this forum, stop in and introduce yourself to one of the most knowledgeable Subaru enthusiast groups in the South East. Be prepared to post pictures.

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:19 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forum and a new Subaru owner. I purchased a 2014 DGM WRX STI sedan about 3 weeks ago. Already installed a COBB access port, intake and box looking to make further mods in the future.

Was driving near the AG campus recently and someone wearing a subaru shirt came out of the parking lot and screamed "GO SUBARU!!" haha i hope it was a member of this forum!! Hoping there is a Subie meet around soon!

OllieG
2014 DGM WRX STI Limited Sdn
Stage 2+

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Hi OllieG - Welcome to the forums!
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

There is a "Boxer takeover the Dragon" on May 9. Check out Nasioc Southeast area for take over info.

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:13 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

Glad you found the forum.

Hit me up if the mod bug still has you. Maybe can save you some money on parts.
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 pm
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

Welcome!
Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:09 am
bicycle_wreck User avatar
KSOC Officer

Welcome to the forum! Pics or ban.

Also, be sure to check out the weekly meets at Chuy's. More info in the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=615
The Fun Police - Headlight Retrofits - Oil Snob
:sam:

Sam: You need a bigger turbo, Kyle.
Kyle: You need to shut the fuck up.

Antonio/Black Silk: ...all hashtags are for flatbillers.

2012 WRX

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:54 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Hey Durania! thanks for the reply, next i'm probably looking at getting a invidia q300 with catted dp but sure don't want to pay the MSRP! After that i'm not sure what "the next step" would be power wise, i'll probably do some exterior installs after the exhaust (mudflats, hella supertones, paint wheels, tint etc) What do you guys recommend?

bicycle_wreck i'm sure wanting to come to the weekly meets when i'm in town! I'm a professional golfer so i travel quite a bit, in Evansville IN this week for a tournament.
Stage 2+

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:44 pm
KSOC Officer

You should look into a Torqued Performance tune when you decide to add more power. Eric @ Torqued Performance can help you decide your next steps, and Kyle (Durania) is a mod enabler, a parts pusher. He's a bad, bad man. Bad for my wallet anyway.

http://torquedperformance.com/

2012 WRX

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Where is Torqued Performance? The link you gave was for a tuner in Oregon ahah. I've been noticing a little bit of feedback knock recently so it would be good to get that sorted out.

I saw on another thread Kyle has a wholesale account with Rally Sport Direct (WINNING!) i bet it saves us $$$ but you probably end up buying more gear!
Stage 2+

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 pm
Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

Welcome! Modding is like crack, and Kyle is the best dealer around.
2013 EDS cornhole champion.

2007 WRX Limited. CGM. vf39'd - Sold
2006 Baja Sport. Atlantic Blue Pearl

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:23 am
jaboyd User avatar
KSOC Member

Eric (TP) is an e-tuner. He does a really nice job. You'd do some logging on AP and frwd to Eric. He'll send you back a tune and you run it and log again. It may take a few runs to nail it down.

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:31 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

Thank you fellas.

Hit me up when you get ready to mod, be glad to help out.
Kyle S.

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 am
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Thanks Kyle,

i've already got my 'wish list' in a cart on the rallysportdirect website ahah just need to pull the trigger!!

Up in Evansville, IN atm for a golf tournament this week, if all goes well will be in for a good pay day $$$$$

I'm looking at lowering the car slightly so i've got some lowering springs on there which should be ok on the stock struts right? i don't think i'm going to track the car and can't wrap my head around paying that much for coils? thoughts?
Stage 2+

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 pm
Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

I'm running springs on stock struts...been about 4 years now. Only lowered an inch, if that helps. I really like the ride quality the stockers give. I'm too old for coilovers on a daily.

Post Fri May 01, 2015 9:29 am
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Personally, I would go with RCE Yellow Springs for your lowering needs. :)
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Racecom ... ng-Springs

I have them on my STi and although the GR is different, my car rides smoother with the yellows and with less body roll.
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Sat May 02, 2015 9:07 am
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

I researched the RCE Yellow Springs and seems like they are much stiffer over stock springs? Whats the ride like on yours ether947? I primarily use it as my DD so still want comfort also. Plan on getting perrin sway bars too eventually just not sure what size

I was thinking these springs http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Tanabe-TGF140-GF210-Spring-Kit
Stage 2+

Post Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 pm
ether947 User avatar
KSOC Officer

Hmm... I just compared the RCE Yellow GR and GD springs and the GRs are much stiffer than the GDs. 330s vs 290s. My ride is pretty smooth even though the spring rate went up from stock. In fact, the stock ride was pretty bouncy. :marcus:

I don't know much about Tanabe, but they seem to have good reviews on RSD.
2009 WRX [SOLD!]
2005 WRX STI [SOLD!]
2003 WRX

Post Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 am
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

I just had a look and you are right, i even look at the RCE black regular guy springs and they have spring rate of 320. I think i'm gonna go with the Tanabe, 0.8 inch drop front 0.6 inch drop rear and 252/224 spring rate.

What thickness sway bars would work well? 19/22/25?
Stage 2+

Post Sun May 03, 2015 9:25 am
KSOC Officer

As far as the springs go, the GD chassis is a lighter car, so RCE has raised the spring rate for the GR to compensate for the increased weight. So, the spring rates are relative given the different chassis setups. If the Tanabe's have good reviews then go with your gut.

Not all sway bars are the same, even if the measurements are. Some are hollow, some are solid, so the measurements don't mean as much.

The RCE bars are hollow, which is why they are so large (25mm). The Eibach kit, also hollow, is essentially the same size as your stock STi bars, so that would be a waste of money. Whiteline is solid, but made in North Korea (yes, that's right, DPRK).

After weeks and weeks of research and asking around, I went with SuperPro 24mm front and 22mm rear. They're both solid bars and made in Australia. I run the front on soft (~23mm) and the rear on the middle setting (~22mm).

http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.php?t ... ory_id=190

2012 WRX

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Thanks for the awesome response, lot of good info!

I'm from Australia so have some home made parts on my car is a cool idea!

They are more pricey than other sway bars but seem to be worth it!
Stage 2+

Post Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 am
Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

bicycle_wreck wrote:
Whiteline is solid, but made in North Korea (yes, that's right, DPRK).

If the great leader says they're ok, then that's good enough for me. :lol:

Post Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 pm
Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

Can't argue with Best Korea.
Kyle S.

Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm
OllieG User avatar
KSOC Member

Guys,

I'm playing in a Web.com Tour event (golf) in Greenville, SC this week. Part of the week included a session at the BMW Performance Center and i'm telling you it was F%$KING INSANE! Most fun I've ever had!

We got to go for a hot lap with a pro driver in an M5 (560hp) and i've never gone into a corner so fast in my entire life, the entire lap i was thinking, theres no way we are going to stop in time and make the turn! It was pretty much a drift lap!

Then we got to race each other in M3s (410hp) around a mini track which was probably the best part i did it twice aha. Almost everyone did in automatic but i went with the flappy paddle manual mode and it was awesome

The next section we got to do a cool off road experience in a stock X5, we did a deep water crossing, rock mountain climbs, even did a chassis flex test which was interesting to watch the car infront.

After that i did a lap with another pro driver on the speed loop and we got up to 151mph in an almost stock M3 (performance exhaust) and turned the end corner at 100mph, i thought for sure we were going into the wall but it has carbon ceramic brakes which were unreal.

The last thing i went on was a mini track lap in just a normal 3 series which has sharp corners and chicanes wet/dry sections which was awesome but i went too hard and lost control, basically drifting the lap which slowed me down but was so much fun.

If you guys ever have the chance to do the same thing, i would say you HAVE to do it, no questions asked. it can be a bit pricey ~$750 but its well worth it. When i win a tournament theres also the M Driving school which is a 2 full day driving course where they teach you about the dynamics of the car, drifting, braking, basically how to get the most out of your car but thats $3600!!! 2 days food included, 2 nights accom, clothing and helmet.

Honestly best fun I've had in ages, wanted to take my STI out there but that wasn't gonna happen ahah!
Stage 2+

Post Thu May 14, 2015 7:32 am
Rusty Hanger User avatar
KSOC Member

That
Sounds
AWESOME.

A little pricey for my blood, but still sounds like a solid deal. I did the Petty driving experience in Florida, it was 300 bucks if I recall, and I only got to 131 mph. I've done faster on the street. Uh, in Mexico....

Post Thu May 14, 2015 10:57 am
SubieEngineer User avatar
KSOC Alum

I abused the crap out of the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience when it was here in Houston. Would love a job at BMW in SC!
Marcus, Prime Minister of Post Whoring & KSOC Alumnus Extraordinaire

09 BMW 528i - The Gentleman's Daily
04 Nissan 350Z - AX/Track Slut
06 BMW 330i - Traded
07 Subaru STI Limited #576 - "The Gentleman's STI" - Sold

Track day, bro!

Next

Return to New Forum Members