Board index KSOC Social New Forum Members Possible new Subaru owner with questions.

Possible new Subaru owner with questions.

Whether you're new to Subarus, Knoxville, or just this forum, stop in and introduce yourself to one of the most knowledgeable Subaru enthusiast groups in the South East. Be prepared to post pictures.

rig98 Forum User

Name's Mike and i may have a shot at a 2001 2.5RS. My question is how expensive are these on maintenance and major issues. The car has sat for some time with front end damage. The aesthetics are no big issue but since its sat for several years it will need a thorough go over and possibly large part replacement. Main questions are how hard and expensive is finding replacements for the major AWD pieces or replacing the engine, things like that and what to look out for.

Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

They share a lot of parts with parts with the Foresters. Rear wheel bearings and rear fender rust are common issues. Also, head gaskets are bad to go on them. But, they're pretty solid after that.
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

rig98 Forum User

I had read aomething about headgaskets. Is there a better than oem set i can get that alleviates the issue or is this just like a yearly or every other year general maintenance?

Durania User avatar
KSOC Officer

From what I went through when mine went on my RS, once you get the revised Subaru headgasket on there, you're fine. I believe it's now a 3 layer gasket and I may be mistaken.

Some more info can be found on this forum and in this thread for starts: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f106/t73880- ... guide.html
Kyle S.
Subieworks.com parts pusher
Buying from RSD? PM me first.

"...ragged out flat-biller machine" - Chris Anderson

Return to New Forum Members